Queenstown, located in the South Island of New Zealand, is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning scenery, adventure activities, and vibrant nightlife. Here are some travel tips for making the most of your visit to this beautiful town:
Sights of Queenstown
Queenstown, located on the shores of Lake Wakatipu in New Zealand’s South Island, is known as the adventure capital of the world. But there’s more to Queenstown than just adrenaline-pumping activities. The town is also home to some of the most breathtaking landscapes in the world. In this article, we’ll explore some of the top sights of Queenstown that you can’t afford to miss.
Skyline Queenstown is a must-visit attraction for anyone visiting Queenstown. The attraction is located on top of Bob’s Peak and offers stunning views of the town and surrounding mountains. Visitors can take a gondola to the top of the peak, where they can enjoy a meal at the restaurant, take a guided nature walk, or even try their hand at luge.
Milford Sound (Queenstown travel tips)
Milford Sound is one of the most popular attractions in New Zealand and is located just a few hours’ drive from Queenstown. The sound is known for its dramatic landscapes, towering waterfalls, and diverse wildlife. Visitors can take a boat tour of the sound, offering a chance to get up close to the waterfalls and spot seals, dolphins, and penguins.
Surrounded by stunning mountain ranges, Lake Wakatipu stretches for 80 kilometers and is a glacial lake. Visitors can take a boat tour of the lake or even go kayaking to explore its hidden bays and coves. Lake Wakatipu is also a popular spot for fishing, with brown and rainbow trout being the most commonly caught species.
The Remarkables (Queenstown travel tips)
The Remarkables is a mountain range located just a short drive from Queenstown. The range is known for its stunning landscapes, with jagged peaks and deep valleys. Visitors can take a scenic drive to the top of the range, where they can enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
Arrowtown is a historic gold-mining town located just a short drive from Queenstown. The town is known for its charming streets, historic buildings, and gold-mining heritage. Visitors can take a stroll through the town’s streets, explore the historic Chinese settlement, or even try their luck at gold panning.
Queenstown Gardens (Queenstown travel tips)
Queenstown Gardens is a public park located in the heart of Queenstown. The stunning landscapes of the park boast manicured lawns, flower beds, and towering trees, making it a popular destination. Visitors can take a stroll through the park, enjoy a picnic, or even play a game of frisbee golf.
Skippers Canyon is a historic canyon located just a short drive from Queenstown. The stunning landscapes of the canyon feature sheer cliffs and deep gorges, making it a popular attraction. Visitors can take a scenic drive through the canyon, where they can see historic gold-mining sites and stunning views of the Shotover River.
Glenorchy is a small town located at the head of Lake Wakatipu. The town’s reputation stems from its stunning landscapes, which boast towering mountains and crystal-clear lakes. Visitors can take a scenic drive to the town, where they can enjoy a meal at a local restaurant, take a stroll through the town’s streets, or even go horseback riding in the surrounding countryside.
Kawarau Bridge Bungy
The Kawarau Bridge Bungy is a must-visit attraction for anyone looking for an adrenaline-pumping activity in Queenstown. The bungy jump located on the historic Kawarau Bridge, offering a chance to jump off the bridge and freefall for 43 meters before being caught by a bungy cord.
Queenstown travel tips-
- Queenstown is easily accessible by plane, with direct flights available from major cities in New Zealand and Australia.
- Alternatively, you can also take a bus or drive to Queenstown from other parts of the South Island.
- Queenstown offers a wide range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly hostels to luxurious resorts.
- Consider staying in a hotel or vacation rental in the central area to be close to the main attractions and nightlife.
- If you’re looking for a more unique experience, consider staying in a camping ground or cabin in the surrounding mountains.
Activities (Queenstown travel tips):
- Queenstown’s fame lies in its adventure activities, including bungee jumping, skydiving, and white-water rafting.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, try paragliding or a helicopter tour for breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and lakes.
- For a more relaxed experience, take a scenic cruise on Lake Wakatipu or go wine tasting in the nearby Gibbston Valley.
Food and drink:
- Queenstown offers a diverse range of dining options, from traditional New Zealand cuisine to international flavors.
- For a true taste of Queenstown, try a local craft beer or a glass of Central Otago wine.
- For a unique dining experience, take a dinner cruise on the TSS Earnslaw, a historic steamship that sails on Lake Wakatipu.
Shopping (Queenstown travel tips):
- Queenstown has a variety of shops and markets, selling everything from local crafts and souvenirs to designer clothing.
- For a unique shopping experience, visit the local farmers market to pick up some locally grown fruits and vegetables.
- Queenstown’s lively nightlife offers a variety of bars, clubs, and pubs to choose from, making it a well-known destination for partying.
- For a more relaxed evening, take a stroll along the lakefront and enjoy the beautiful views.
- For a more lively scene, head to one of the town’s many clubs or pubs for a night of dancing and drinking.
Safety (Queenstown travel tips):
- As with any destination, it’s important to take precautions to ensure your safety while traveling in Queenstown.
- Be aware of your surroundings and take care when participating in adventure activities.
- It’s also a good idea to have travel insurance in case of any unexpected accidents or illnesses.
Queenstown offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors of all interests and budgets. Whether you’re an adventure seeker looking for thrills, or a more relaxed traveler looking to take in the stunning scenery and vibrant nightlife, Queenstown has something for everyone. With these tips in mind, you’re sure to have an unforgettable trip to this beautiful part of New Zealand.