Darjeeling city located in West Bengal of India. It is famous for its geological beauty, tea and Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. Darjeeling’s popularity has grown since the days of the British Raj. Especially when it became their summer capital.
What makes Darjeeling a must-visit destination?
The natural beauty: Darjeeling boasts a breathtaking natural beauty, with a row of pine trees adorning the mountains and the azure sky peeking through the gaps. The movement of clouds through the trees, accompanied by rain and sunshine, creates a unique sight that can only be witnessed in Darjeeling.
Darjeeling is famous for producing some of the best teas in the world. Tea lovers from all over the globe flock to Darjeeling to taste the premium quality tea grown in the region.
Darjeeling holds a special place in the hearts of Bengalis, as it has been a part of their childhood stories and conversations with elders. Even Feluda fans associate the city with the beginning of Feluda’s thrilling adventures.
Escape from monotony:
For travel enthusiasts like us, Darjeeling is the perfect escape from the daily monotony of life. The town offers a budget-friendly option to get away from worries and explore a new destination.
Dajeeling has several attractions that are quite popular among tourists, some of the important ones are :-
The most popular attraction of Darjeeling in India is the toy train, which is run by the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Tiger Hill (Darjeeling in India)
Tiger Hill is well known for watching the stunning scene of Kanchenjunga during the sunrise in Darjeeling of India. On a clear sunny day, Mount Everest is also seen.
- The ropeway in Darjeeling is the most popular tourist attraction among both adults and children. Singamari is the boarding point for the ropeway, which is also known as Rangeet Valley Passenger Cable. It offers a breathtaking aerial view of the valley alongside the Little Rangeet river, making it a must-see destination.
- During the 45-minute cable car ride, visitors can enjoy the stunning views of the lush green tea gardens, flowing rivers, dense forests, and cascading waterfalls. The ride starts at an altitude of 7,000 feet and descends to 800 feet, providing an unforgettable experience.
- Tourists can disembark at any point and visit the tea gardens to learn about the tea-making process from the local women who pluck the tea leaves. It’s an excellent opportunity to meet the locals and gain insights into their lives.
Singalila National Park (Darjeeling in India)
Situated in the highest regions of West Bengal, Singalila National Park is located at an altitude of approximately 2134 meters above sea level. This park is renowned for its breathtaking peaks and panoramic views of the lesser Himalayas.
Trekking enthusiasts consider it a paradise due to its diverse range of mountainous vegetation, fauna, and birds. The park is home to rare and endangered species such as Red Panda, Black Bear, Leopard, Tigers, Clouded Leopard, Serow, Leopard Cat, Barking Deer, Yellow-throated Marten, Wild Boar, Pangolin, and Takin.
Phalut Trek starts from Sandakphu and goes to Phalut which is about 21 kms away. As both the places are at the same height and level, this trek is easy. The route goes through the forest and also offers wonderful views of various mountains including Mount Everest.
Village tours and excursions (Darjeeling in India)
Village tours and excursions are also quite popular among tourists as visits to various villages in the Kalimpong region. There they will get an insight into local customs and also get an appreciation of traditional Nepali cuisine. There are also many exciting sports available here.
Dedicated to Lord Shiva, the Mahakal Temple is a highly revered site situated atop the ‘Holy Hill’, just a few minutes away from Chowrasta. What makes this temple unique is the presence of both a Hindu priest and a Buddhist monk at the altar.
The temple holds significance for both Hindus and Buddhists, owing to its history as a former Buddhist monastery. As a result, it represents an amalgamation of two distinct cultures. The celebration of Shiva Ratri at the temple is a grand affair, marked by a serene and spiritual atmosphere that exudes unmatched tranquility.
Perched above Mall Road, a visit to this temple is an experience like no other.
White Water Rafting
Rafting on the Teesta River is not only an exhilarating experience but also offers scenic views of the forested river banks and valley visits.
Paragliding (Darjeeling in India)
The popularity of paragliding has grown exponentially in Darjeeling, India. Admire the majestic view of Darjeeling from the open sky.
Situated at an altitude of 1250 meters above sea level, Kalimpong is approximately 50 km away from Darjeeling. While summers are pleasant, winters can be chilly. The ideal time to visit Kalimpong is during the summer season.
As a tourist destination, Kalimpong offers a unique blend of tranquility and liveliness. The town is home to numerous churches and monasteries, lending it a peaceful vibe. Additionally, Kalimpong boasts some beautiful nurseries that are famous for their vast collection of orchids and other flowers. A visit to these nurseries is highly recommended to witness the beauty of nature.
Hot Air Balloons
Hot air balloons are perfect for those people who want to see Darjeeling from the open sky, but are afraid of paragliding. These balloons are securely tethered to the ground with ropes and an experienced guide is always present.
Accommodation (Darjeeling in India)
Since Darjeeling is a huge tourist attraction, the city has a number of accommodation options. Budget-minded travelers can choose from a variety of accommodation options including the classic guesthouse, The Revolver. Those looking for more romantic accommodation can choose Windamere or The Cedar Inn; There are many more options though. Those looking for something a little different can opt for a stay at a tea garden.
Where is Darjeeling located?
- By Air: The nearest airport is Bagdogra Airport, about 70 km away. The airport is connected to almost all the major airports of the country. It takes about 1 hour 40 minutes by car from the airport to Darjeeling.
- By Rail : The nearest railway station is New Jalpaiguri station and it is 88 km from Darjeeling. It takes about 1 hour 40 minutes by car from the station to Darjeeling.
- By Road: There are several buses that ply between Darjeeling and Siliguri city, a distance of about 65 km. Many people prefer to travel in small vehicles sharing seats. This journey may take about one and a half hours.
Best time to visit (Darjeeling in India)
- Spring and autumn are the best time to visit Darjeeling for many tourists from around the world.
- Spring in Darjeeling lasts from March to April and autumn from September to November.